Presented by Art at the Main at Art at the Main
My choice of still life as my primary subject is no accident. I’m influenced by my love of nature and the natural things all around us. I produce many floral, fruit and vegetable themed works. My style is a painterly, sometimes reminiscent of Paul Cezanne’s style of using dark lines to define shapes.
“I love to paint in my studio, from real life and from reference materials. I believe it’s the translation that counts. I want to use whats before me, but more importantly, I ask myself what can I leave out? It’s the leaving out that creates freshness and keeps it painterly.”
She holds a bachelor’s degree in Art History and Theory from The George Washington University. Upon graduation she worked at The National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., where she researched, developed and conducted tours of the permanent collection for the Education Department, was assistant to Dr. Lestor Cooke, the Curator of Art Evaluations, and worked as an assistant to the former Director, J. Carter Brown. Her fine arts education began with classes taken through The University of Utah Office of Continuing Education and Lifelong Learning, and was supplemented by many independent and UWS sponsored workshops.
Eleven years ago Joy founded Art at the Main, a Utah artists co-operative and art gallery located on the ground floor of the Main Library in downtown Salt Lake City. She is currently one of its Directors and continues to be one of its artist members.
All types of water medium are her favorite means to express the impact of color and composition upon the images she creates. Although her paintings have a realistic basis and reflect favorite subjects including still-life, landscape and glimpses of everyday things and people that catch her eye, she continues to explore this medium in ways which will give her paintings intimacy, emotion and interest.
Individual Dates & Times *
- January 15, 2019 at 10:00 am (Tue)
- January 16, 2019 at 10:00 am (Wed)
- January 17, 2019 at 10:00 am (Thu)
- January 18, 2019 at 10:00 am (Fri)
- January 19, 2019 at 10:00 am (Sat)
- January 20, 2019 at 1:00 pm (Sun)
- January 22, 2019 at 10:00 am (Tue)
- January 23, 2019 at 10:00 am (Wed)
- January 24, 2019 at 10:00 am (Thu)
- January 25, 2019 at 10:00 am (Fri)
- January 26, 2019 at 10:00 am (Sat)
- January 27, 2019 at 1:00 pm (Sun)
- January 29, 2019 at 10:00 am (Tue)
- January 30, 2019 at 10:00 am (Wed)
- January 31, 2019 at 10:00 am (Thu)
- February 01, 2019 at 10:00 am (Fri)
- February 02, 2019 at 10:00 am (Sat)
- February 03, 2019 at 1:00 am (Sun)
- February 05, 2019 at 10:00 am (Tue)
- February 06, 2019 at 10:00 am (Wed)
- February 07, 2019 at 10:00 am (Thu)
- February 08, 2019 at 10:00 am (Fri)
- February 09, 2019 at 10:00 am (Sat)
200 East 400 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Presented by First United Methodist Church at First United Methodist Church
Get away from the office during lunch and enjoy beautiful music on a historic pipe organ. Free and open to the public.
Presented by The Depot at The Depot
Presented by Excellence in the Community at The Gallivan Center
Presented by V2 Presents at SKY SLC
More #EnergiWednesdays announces coming at you this time with legendary bass music creators Dirtyphoincs